We're Here To Fool Ya

By Travis Lyle a.k.a DJ Hedmekanik
Look, Mum - I'm multitasking!




A long, long time ago in a far away land...OK, so it wuz Lundun, in 95, wannit? Anna tunes woz massive, wanney? Too right.

Anyway, back in 1995 I picked up one of those free compilation tapes (yup, Dark Ages) that came with a copy of Select magazine, and amongst other aural delights there was one tune that blew me away. This is the tune presented on today's 'No Music Friday' here in the Voodoo Kitchen.
What's that? 'Can't have music on 'No Music Friday?' I hear you say. Who's blog is this, anyway? Go and read Perez Hilton or something. God's sake, some people, I ask you with tears in my ass.
Anyway.
So I had this tape, which eventually it made its way back home to South Africa with me and was put to thorough use, being mercilessly played till it was stretched and begging to be put out to pasture. I never did put it out of its misery, it simply went the way of innumerable items which somehow take leave when you move house a few times. All of which is to say that Lo! and Behold! one day on my web meanderings I came across a blog called Audio.Out (which you should check out - see link in The Buffet) and jigger my poker and blow me down if the same track wasn't among those featured in a post. I can tell you that I was beaming; I had been resigned to only ever hearing the song again in my mind.
The tune in question is a remix of 'Hallelujah' by Shaun Ryder's gang of loons, the Happy Mondays, which will forever be held in esteem as one of the iconic tracks that represented the Ecstasy / Rave / Summer Of Love era. Done by Deadstock, it's a downbeat, bass-heavy and slightly breaky rework which I actually prefer to the original. Blasphemy, I know, but there you go, I'm an odd fish like that and have a sweet spot for remixes, as anyone who has heard me DJ can testify.

Drum roll, maestro, please.......

http://rapidshare.com/files/91973907/05_Hallelujah__Deadstock_Remix_.mp3.html

Cheers, have a good weekend!
 

3 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous February 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM
    Nice Trav. But how's a favour bru.... turn full posts back on in your feed... I have to click through to read the full post now and it drives me nuts. Shot shot. Have a good weekend!!
  2. Travis Lyle a.k.a DJ Hedmekanik February 15, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    Feckin feckin feck. The 'Subscribe To Posts (Atom)' function on my blog has disappeared, a result (I think) of me changing my template and then changing my mind and reverting to the original, which is the present Minima Dark template.
    I've been to Blogger Help, had a thorough search and nowhere can I find the instructions I need to reinstate it.
    Perhaps I'm being really thick (a distinct possibility) but I'm at my wits' end as to how to fix it.
    Short of migrating my entire blog's contents to a new URL, I'm stuck for a solution.
    So throw me a bone here, o ye skilled webnicians.
  3. Travis Lyle a.k.a DJ Hedmekanik February 15, 2008 at 2:02 PM
    Ah.
    OK, have enabled Full Posts, so that should sort that.
    However, the 'Subscribe To Posts (Atom)' wawa remains....

Something to say?